home              about              shop              contact

Thursday, January 9, 2014

Tasty Oat Balls

I love trying out different recipes that I come across and recently I've been doing it a lot more than usual. Because of my Bickerstaff Syndrome, my neurologist doubled my medication, and has me keeping a headache diary. In addition to this, over the past year I've slowly been learning my dietary migraine triggers. With all of this combined, I'm hopping to have a relatively migraine free 2014. It's also led me to exploring a ton of new recipes with my new restrictions, such as little to no breads (which for me is HARD), only a light amount of dairy, no caffeine, and nothing carbonated (my medication causes it to taste flat, yuck!).  For me it feels fairly restrictive, but I started about 2 and half weeks ago and so far so good.

I created a Migraine Free Menu on my Pintrest account to help me with meal planning. My favorite recipe so far has been the No Bake Oat Bites. I cannot stop eating them as they are delicious! So, I figured I should share the recipe with everyone so y'all can enjoy them too!



1 Cup- Rolled Oats
2/3 Cup- Almond Flakes
1/2 Cup- Peanut Butter- I like to use crunchy peanut butter for added texture.
1/2 Cup- Dried Cranberries
1/3 Cup- Honey (or Maple Syrup)- I used syrup this time as we were out of honey.
1 tspn- Vanilla Extract


Step 1- Stir all DRY ingredients together in a bowl.


Step 2- Add in WET ingredients and mix it all together.


Step 3- Cover and let chill in the refrigerator for 30 to 45 minutes

Step 4- Once chilled, roll into balls of desired size. Mine were between 1- 1.25inches and I was able to get about 18 balls total, it would have been 20, but my husband ate some of the chilled mix before it made it into balls!


Step 5- Enjoy!

They should be kept in your refrigerator and will last about a week, but I'm venturing to say it won't take you that long to eat them!

I just love this recipe! It's super easy and you can put it together with items you probably already have in your pantry.

Let me know if you try them out and what variation on the recipes you take! Also if you have migraines with dietary triggers, I'd love to swap recipes and ideas of how you keep yours in check.

3 comments:

Hannah said...

Thanks for posting this recipe! I can't wait to give it a go. I'm not a huge fan of raisins so I'll probably replace them with something else.. not just sure what right now.

I'm very happy for this new plan in your life. I don't have migraines, my thing is nausea, but I know what a pain in the butt it is to have to start all over with food. It will all be worth it when you start feeling better though. Best of luck to you, Brooke! :)

geetabix said...

Ah, food sensitivities. It takes such a while to figure out what works for you. If I'm about to get a headache, peanut butter is out.

Kim said...

You have an adorable blog! I'm so glad I found it. Lots of luck to you for a migraine free 2014. I'm so trying this recipe, it sounds delicious!

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...