home              about              shop              contact

Sunday, August 11, 2013

The Altered Dress

Hello Everyone. It's been hotter than balls in Texas recently, sitting consistently around 105˚F. This is taxing and making me dig deeply into my closet for outfits that are going to keep me from passing out. During this quest I was led to a dress that has sat in my closet since last year. It was my $3.oo eShakti dress. I bought this dress at the end of 2011 beginning of 2012 during a Christmas sale when I had several coupons, it was also heavily discounted at the time, which is why I was able to get it at such a steal. When it arrived the fit was awful and it was WAY too big. It also had a crescent hem, where the sides of the bottom of the dress are long and the back is longer than the front. I did/do not like this. I did like the print of the dress and figured that for $3.oo it would be worth practicing some alterations. I brought the sides in to make it more fitted and cut and hemmed the dress to make it a uniformed length all around. Then, I put it in my closet and didn't where it for a year and half. I have no idea why.

There are still some things I would like to change about the dress like, move the pockets from the top to dress to the skirt portion and add an extra button closure where I'm currently holding it together with a safety pin, but all in all, I really like this dress now. 

 
OOTD Details:

Dress: eShakti- Over a Year Ago
Cardigan- Old Navy
Shoes- Walmart

2 comments:

Katie said...

Nice work! That is truly a dress worth saving. Crescent and high-low hems drive me bonkers, too!

The eShakti dress I need to doctor up is that blue-green plaid one that we both have. I love it, but the measurements (which I supplied!) are just too big. So I need to take it in on the top, too. I'd like to do this in an uninvasive way, but I'm concerned about making it look worse. My first thought is back darts, since messing with the side seams might tweak the sleeves (and there's a side zipper). Did you just turn it inside out and sew new lines without undoing the existing seams?

Pretty Penny Mae said...

Hi Katie- Thanks for the compliment. I like the dress much more now.
I think your dress is a little more complicated than this one was to alter. This dress didn't have a side zipper, just an elastic waist. What I did was turn the dress inside out, and using the existing seams, I just brought them in a couple inches on each side. For the lower portion of the dress, after I cut away the uneven hem line I pulled the elastic waist in by an inch on each side. I wanted it to still be a little loose, just not nearly as much.

For your dress, since it has a zipper, I think darts would probably be the best option, but I'm a beginner, so I'd hate to give you the wrong advice. I hope this has been a little bit helpful & good luck with it! I'd love to know how it turns out!

-On a side note, I can never order a fully custom eShakti dress, mine always come out too large as well! I always end up ordering from the standard sizes.

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...